Has the world forgotten about a country that’s been pushed into a state of emergency due to the escalating conflict? Has the world forgotten about the emergency that is now being referred to as the worlds worst humanitarian crisis? The answer is YES. It’s yes because millions – as many as 22 million – people are in urgent need of some form of humanitarian assistance due to the conflict.
In 2018, we’re living in a world where access to life’s most basic necessities such as food, clean drinking water, sanitation, and health care is expected, but not in Yemen. Just over three years of war has almost ruined a health system in a country where hundreds of thousands are at risk of contracting cholera or diphtheria. The people of Yemen are struggling to meet simple needs which leaves us with devastating statistics like:
- An average of 130 children die every day due to malnutrition.
- 8.4 million people don’t know how they will obtain their next meal.
- More than 2,000 Yemeni’s have died from what the World Health Organisation has called the “worst cholera outbreak in the world”.
Concerned for the hundreds and thousands of families that have to live through the conflict and famine that now sweeps through Yemen, Penny Appeal Australia has pledged an initial $250,000 for emergency intervention in Yemen.
“We cannot stand by as hundreds of lives are lost daily. The end to this conflict that is killing so many innocent people not only with violence but with hunger and disease cannot come soon enough.” – Mohamed Mayat, CEO Penny Appeal Australia
Penny Appeal staff and partners aim to reach as many affected people as possible, providing them with emergency relief items such as food, health care items, clean water and so much more. So how can YOU help? Learn how you can help us provide emergency supplies to the starving people (the majority of them women and children) in Yemen.
Whilst in-kind donations are very much appreciated, it is much easier and more cost-effective to use financial donations to purchase the most needed items whether it be medicine, food, or clean water for those on the ground. Click Here to Donate Now
Donate Your Time and Voice
- Make some noise on your social media accounts by sharing our stats on the emergency!
- Share this post via email or on your social platforms.
- Update your cover photo on Facebook to match ours!
- Start a conversation among your social circles and see if you can get your friends involved – maybe you can raise some much-needed funds together!
- Share more stories about Yemen on social media to raise awareness.