Going Giving (Instead of Shopping) On Giving Tuesday!
The countdown to the new year is officially on and with that comes so many perks! Yes, the end of the year gives us many things to look forward to like gatherings, holiday time and the ever so popular end of year sales like the upcoming Boxing Day and ones that we’ve only just passed: Black Friday and Cyber Monday, more made up ‘days of spending’.
After checking in with the team to see how many sale emails we’d all received over the weekend (or “spend” emails), a thought came to mind. Why don’t we celebrate the International Day of Giving, a day that’s only dedicated to acts of kindness and charity? This day is called Giving Tuesday and YES, it is upon us!
To celebrate #GivingTuesday, we’ve put together a list of 15 ways you can “go giving” this Tuesday.
1. EVERY PENNY COUNTS
– Give any amount, big or small, to one of our campaigns.
– Give Penny Appeal a gift in kind. It doesn’t have to be money – it could be resources! From the note pads in our boardroom to the tshirts we wear in the field – a gift is a gift and every gift counts.
– Participate in a fundraising event. From taking part in a challenge to attending a dinner, getting involved is one of the best ways to give back.
– Gift in Memory. Once you’ve made a donation on your behalf, why not give the same gift in memory of a loved one or a friend?
– Lunch time matching. Donate the same amount you’d spend at lunchtime to a cause that’s dear to your heart.
2. YOUR TIME MEANS EVERYTHING
– #TeamOrange. Not only is volunteering a great way to give back and meet new people, it’s a great way to develop your skills!
– Make some noise on social media. Join our orange fam online by being loud and proud and sharing one of our posts to raise awareness for a cause that is close to your heart.
– Sell it, don’t re-gift it! How many unwanted gifts do we receive over time? Instead of returning them, why not sell them and donate the proceeds to a charitable cause?
– Embrace your inner masterchef. Why not whip out whatever you have in the pantry and cook for a cause?
–Teach Others. “Even a smile is charity”. Those are the words of our beloved Prophet PBUH. Smiling at someone at work, or in the street, donating some old clothes, unwanted toys or visiting a sick family member is charitable and a great way to get friends and family involved
3. HELPING STRANGERS
– Random Act Of Kindness. Take some time to think of ways that you and your family and friends can help others around you – it could be as simple as helping an elderly person carry their groceries or helping someone cross the road. A little goes a long way.
– Feed A Family In Need. Cook a nice meal together with your family and donate it to your local community centre or food bank to help a family in need.
– First Aid Certificate. Do you know how to do CPR? Getting your First Aid Certificate only takes an hour. Imagine being able to save someone’s life one day?
– Donate Blood. This is a great to help someone who really needs it and all it takes is a few minutes!
– Surprise visit & Breaking Bread! Pick a family member or friend who you haven’t seen in a while, take a plate of food over and pay them a friendly surprise visit.